Te Āhuru Mōwai Playground is situated adjacent to the Memorial Hall at the southern end of Marton in the Rangitikei District. It replaces a small, and seriously outdated, playground built in 1951. The site, although only four blocks from the centre of town, had sufficient area to expand and become the destination play space the town wanted.
Te Āhuru Mōwai Playground which sits adjacent to the Memorial Hall at the southern end of Marton in the Rangitikei District is a strong example of a project brought about with community involvement and engagement. That community input is apparent in both the conceptual elements of the playground as well as the actual equipment, some of which was literally constructed by local members of the community.
It is clear this project could not have happened without the community and its initiative. Projects such as Te Āhuru Mōwai Playground exemplify the place landscape architecture can have in smaller towns in Aotearoa New Zealand where budgets and resources can be limited.
Boffa Miskell has gently responded to the aspirations of the community to successfully deliver a destination playground. A playground which includes a variety of spaces, activities and challenges, all set within a mix of established and new planting.
Marton Development Group
Rangitikei District Council
Te Rūnanga o Ngā Wairiki Ngāti Apa
Boffa Miskell Limited
Aynsley Cisaria, Sarah Collins, Kieran Dove, Rangitahi Kawe, Rory Gray
Equipment Supply and Installation - Playground Centre
Wetpour Surfacing and Landscape Contractor - Playtop NZ
Plant Supply - Kauri Park Nursery
Playground Auditor - Philippa Bolland
Project Management - WT Partnership
Toilet Facilities - Permaloo
Furniture - Street Furniture NZ